Pregnancy-Related Musculoskeletal Issues in the Workplace
|Published:||23rd November 2018|
|Categories:||Blog, Clinical massage, Stretches, Clinical advice, Pregnancy|
Are you pregnant and working in an office environment?
Are you experiencing discomfort while managing the demands of work and pregnancy? You're not alone! It's surprising to learn that approximately 70% of pregnant women encounter musculoskeletal issues while at work.
Our latest article is here to provide support. Discover effective ways to alleviate pregnancy-related musculoskeletal challenges in the office through simple exercises and advanced soft tissue therapy.
Learn valuable techniques to ease lower back pain, pelvic girdle pain, neck and shoulder tension, as well as swelling in the extremities. And we will guide you on how to effectively communicate your needs to your manager, creating a supportive work environment.
Congratulations on this incredible journey of bringing new life into the world! As you navigate the joys of pregnancy while balancing your work life, it's essential to prioritise your wellbeing, especially when it comes to musculoskeletal issues that may arise in the workplace.
In this article, we'll explore common pregnancy-related musculoskeletal challenges you may encounter at work, share simple exercises to help alleviate discomfort, and offer guidance on how to communicate with your manager about your needs. And remember, if you're experiencing significant discomfort, our advanced soft tissue therapy practitioners are here to support you.
Understanding Pregnancy-Related Musculoskeletal Issues:
Pregnancy brings forth many changes in your body, and it's not uncommon to experience musculoskeletal discomforts while working in an office environment. Let's take a closer look at a few challenges you may face:
- Lower Back Pain: Did you know that over 50% of pregnant women experience lower back pain during their pregnancy? The shift in your body's center of gravity during pregnancy can lead to lower back pain. Prolonged sitting can exacerbate this discomfort.
- Pelvic Girdle Pain: Pelvic girdle pain, affecting up to 25% of pregnant women, can significantly impact your daily activities. It may manifest as pain in the pelvic region, hips, or groin.
- Neck and Shoulder Tension: The extra weight carried during pregnancy can strain your neck and shoulders, leading to muscle tension and discomfort. This can make it challenging to stay comfortable and focused at work.
- Swelling in the Extremities: Edema, or swelling, affects nearly 75% of pregnant women. It commonly occurs in the ankles, feet, and hands due to hormonal changes and increased fluid retention.
Simple Exercises for Relief:
While it's always recommended to consult with your healthcare provider or our advanced soft tissue therapy practitioners, there are some simple exercises you can incorporate into your work routine to alleviate symptoms:
- Seated Spinal Twist: While seated, gently twist your upper body to one side, placing your opposite hand on the back of the chair for support. Hold for a few breaths and then repeat on the other side. This exercise helps relieve tension in the lower back.
- Shoulder Rolls: Sit up straight and roll your shoulders forward and backward in a circular motion. This exercise helps ease neck and shoulder tension caused by prolonged sitting and typing.
- Ankle Circles: Lift your feet off the ground and rotate your ankles in circular motions, first in one direction and then the other. Ankle circles can reduce swelling in the lower legs and improve blood circulation.
- Pelvic Tilts: While seated, gently tilt your pelvis forward and backward, focusing on engaging your core muscles. This exercise helps relieve pelvic girdle pain and strengthens your core.
- Neck Stretches: Slowly tilt your head to the right, bringing your right ear closer to your shoulder, and hold for a few seconds. Repeat on the left side. This exercise helps alleviate tension in the neck and upper back.
The Power of Advanced Soft Tissue Therapy:
While these exercises can provide relief, it's important to recognise that each pregnancy is unique, and some discomfort may require additional support. Our advanced soft tissue therapy practitioners specialise in helping pregnant women like you find relief from musculoskeletal issues. Through techniques such as clinical massage, myofascial release, and assisted stretching, they can tailor treatments to address your specific needs, providing a safe and supportive environment.
Booking an Appointment:
If you find that your discomfort persists or becomes overwhelming, we encourage you to book an appointment with our advanced soft tissue therapy practitioner. They will work with you to develop a personalised treatment plan, addressing your concerns and helping you navigate the physical changes that come with pregnancy. Click here if you wish to book: Book Online | Advance SRM Therapies Ltd
Communicating with Your Manager:
Open and honest communication with your manager is crucial for creating a supportive work environment during your pregnancy. Here's how you can approach the conversation:
- Schedule a Meeting: Request a meeting with your manager to discuss your pregnancy and any potential challenges you may face in the workplace.
- Be Specific: Clearly explain the musculoskeletal issues you're experiencing, such as lower back pain or pelvic girdle pain, and how they affect your ability to work comfortably.
- Offer Solutions: Share the simple exercises you've been doing to alleviate discomfort and propose any adjustments that could help, such as a more ergonomic chair or flexible work arrangements.
- Discuss Advanced Soft Tissue Therapy: Mention the benefits of advanced soft tissue therapy and how it can provide additional support. Explain that you're considering booking an appointment with our specialised practitioners and discuss whether time can be given to attend these sessions.
Remember to listen to your body, prioritise self-care, and communicate your needs with your manager.
We're here to accompany you on this beautiful journey.
Wishing you joy, health, and happiness.
Subscribe for updates
AdvanceSRM is always looking to share KNOWLEDGE-BOMBS with clients & here you too can sign-up to have access to the latest social media, blogs, news, videos and research that is generated or recommended by us.